* SIMCOA is Australia's ONLY silicon producer - making us unique.
* Over 85% of our silicon is exported.
* SIMCOA employs about 130 local people and indirectly supports another 600 within the south west region.
* Silicon melts at 1410 oC.
* The temperature in the arc furnace is over 2500 oC.
You might be surprised at the diverse range of products that contain silicon, including:
* Silicon solar cells.
* Silicone rubber and sealants.
* Silicon chips and wafers.
* Optical glass and fibre optic cable.
* Alloy wheels on motor vehicles.
* We produce more than 33,000 tonnes of silicon and 8,500 tonnes of silica fume per year.
* We make, and use in our process, about 27,000 tonnes of charcoal and 80,000 tonnes of quartz in a single year.
* The 2 furnaces at Kemerton make silicon continuously all year round and use as much electricity as the city of greater Bunbury.
* SIMCOA operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
* The quartz we use in our process is mined at Moora, north of Perth.
* SIMCOA commenced production in 1989.
SIMCOA is proud of it's commitment to minimising and recycling waste. If we can't use it we try to find someone that can!
* Silica fume collected in our baghouse is an important raw material in high strength concrete.
* Charcoal fines are used to make BBQ beads.
* Sawdust is sold to landscape gardeners and used as mulch, as well as being used by poultry farmers.
* Quartz that is too small for use in the furnaces is extensively used in exposed aggregate and landscaping. It can also make a good road base and is sold as a flux for other industries.
* Slag and dross from the refining of the silicon is sold as a feed for smelters in Europe that make silicon manganese.